Intensive Care Unit Program (ICU):
Course No. CICC-ICU-FT
Course Description: This is a non-credit, 36-week-training course comprising 3 major components:
- The Core ICU course - provides the students with a strong foundation in the advanced acute care. Students learn how to manage the care of critically ill patients as well as interpret test results. Integrated in the course are advanced pharmacology, advanced pathophysiology, and advanced physical assessment;
- Laboratory component compliments and enhances theoretical knowledge. The student is given ample time and opportunity to master advanced physical assessment in a life-size mannequin;
- The supervised clinical practicum (by the clinical instructor and by a preceptor) creates a unique opportunity for the student to deliver patient care to the critically ill patient with precision and confidence. The clinical practicum requires an RN license in Ontario.
The ICU training course is designed to help students acquire advanced knowledge and develop skills necessary in the care of the critically ill patients.
- To assist students, develop solid and firm ICU foundation.
- To assist students gain advanced knowledge in all the modules outlined in the course (refer to course modules).
- The students will obtain advanced knowledge and accurate skills in performing head-to-toe physical assessment in the lab and in the clinical practicum.
- The students will learn how to interpret diagnostic tests (i.e. blood works, X-Rays, Pulmonary Pressures through Swan Ganz, PICCO, CVP, ect) accurately and be able to relate them to the clinical manifestations of the critically ill patients and be able to translate them in the care of the critically ill patients.
- The students will be able to perform nursing procedures required in the care of the critically ill patients.
- The student will be able to handle and cope with the "stress" related to the care of critically ill patients.
- Introduction to Critical Care Nursing
- Care of patients with Cardiovascular disorders
- Care of patients with pulmonary disorders
- Care of patients with Renal disorders
- Care of patients with Neurologic disorders
- Care of patient with endocrine disorders
- Care of patients with gastrointestinal disorders
- Care of patients with reproductive disorders
- Care of patients with multisystem failure
- At least 2 years clinical experience in medical-surgical nursing
- RN license in Ontario